Implant Attached Dentures: What’s all the buzz about?
It seems you can’t turn on the TV these days without seeing advertisements for Clear Choice Dental Implants. They offer a “Smile in a day” with dental implants.
I have been placing dental implants for the past 15 years. Technology and techniques have changed so much in the past 30 years. Dental implant surgeries used to be pretty painful and barbaric…..NOW…they are relatively quick and simple now thanks to 3D Imaging and improved techniques and materials.
Often times our dentist’s or our dental hygienists will get many questions about the possibility and reality of the claims they make on TV. We do our best to dispel myths…but often people do not know some widely known truths to having success with dental implants.
When I meet someone interested in dental implants, they do not always know the following things.
- Dental Implants done right are a multi-step process
- It is necessary to have enough bone in the jaw to be able to place dental implants.
- You don’t need to replace one missing tooth for an implant. Usually there are options that are there to fit people’s lifestyle and budget.
- Your health and how well you take care of your implants can play a big part in the success of your treatment.
What is portrayed on TV is a magical one single visit to fix years and years of neglect.
It’s great marketing, but not possible. Well….it is possible if you rush through the process and possibly skip some steps. However that is setting someone up for future implant failure.
Sadly it is being seen more and more across the country, in practices where dental implants are maintained or dental implant failures are being evaluated, that the number of implant failures coming from these “smile in a day” places are pretty common.
Especially at about the 7-10 year mark is when the failures begin.
Sad considering the investment people make in fixing things to have them be “problem free.”
So, if you or a loved one are considering dental implants, I really suggest doing your homework first. Whether you come to our office or any other dental implant center to have implants placed, ask the doctor these questions:
- What do you do if teeth are healthy or fixable/restorable? Is your protocol to pull these? Why or Why not?
- Who do you work with to have dentures made and fitted? Do you use a reputable lab that provides consistent beautiful results? What kind of experience does the lab have with this type of case?
- Does your office place implants up into the bones of the cheekbones or face to make things fit? Or do you do procedures like adding bone to the jaw to have ideal placement and long term implant success and retention?
- What is the success rate of most of your cases?
Asking these questions will tell you much. It gives you an idea of what to expect at the time of surgery and after.
People sometimes ask more questions about the food at a restaurant to the waiter than they do before having a major surgery or procedure done.
At Blue Apple Dental Group, we believe in empowering our patients with information and want you to be involved in the process of your care.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, so ask away!
If you are interested in knowing more about our dental implant services, we always offer a free consultation or second opinion. You can call the office about that….and there is no obligation at that appointment.