Taking care of your crown appropriately has a significant impact on how long the dental appliance lasts. The first step toward preserving a CEREC same-day crown is to pay attention to how it fits. If you need an adjustment on the fit, it’s smart to schedule that follow-up appointment as soon as possible.
To care for your crown, you should:
- Avoid circumstances that increase the sensitivity of your crown, such as drinking hot beverages or consuming foods high in sugar
- Floss conscientiously to ensure that the crown stays firmly in place If you have issues with teeth grinding or clenching, wear a mouthguard as appropriate to protect the crown from fractures or chips
- Limit the sticky foods you consume, which can potentially shift or remove crowns
- Practice good brushing and flossing habits just as you do to maintain your natural teeth
- Reduce the amount of staining foods and beverages you consume, such as coffee and tobacco, to retain the original color of the crown
- Schedule routine dental cleanings every six months or as recommended by your dentist
- In addition to these general recommendations, prioritize any instructions you receive from your dentist, especially guidelines pertaining to the recovery period after the crown’s initial placement.
If you need a crown, ask your dentist if a CEREC same-day crown is the right option to repair damage to your tooth and protect it from further potential damage.